Thursday, August 20, 2015

Welcome to Me: My Personal Introduction

Well guys, I know that I already told you about my deep love for trees, but what I didn't do was actually introduce myself. So this is what this post is for--to tell all you readers about exactly who I am, what I want to do with myself in regards to the future, and basically anything else you'd want me to know about me. (This is me.) My name is Amanda.
Image Information: Selfie after my most recent haircut; July 2015

SO firstly, the most important thing to me is my family. I'm the eldest of three kids as well as part-time caregiver for my stressed mother and father. My siblings are my favorite people in the world and we are very close. I actually just flew my sister down to Florida to get her settled into her dorm for freshman year of college at Florida Atlantic University. Which was about as heart-wrenching as it could be; i'm pretty sure I cried more than my mom. My sister's name is Alex and she is 18. My brother, Avery, is 15. They are about as different as two people can be, but I like to thing that we all are cut of the same cloth. This is us at my sister's graduation from high school.

Image information: Picture taken by my Aunt Stephanie; Avery (left), Alex (middle), and me (right) being our cute selves; May 2015
Secondly, as much as I love my family the love of my life is not a human at all. I met my soulmate in the parking lot of a Hobby Lobby when I was a sophomore in high school. His name is Teddy Bear (Ted for short) and he is probably the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Image information: Photo taken by me of my baby at 5 months old; April 2010.
 Teddy is a Mastiff/Labrador mix and currently 120 pounds. Honestly, he is the sassiest, grumpiest, and laziest dog I have ever met. Not only does he hate running or playing with new toys, he barely plays with me for 5 minutes before he decides it would be cooler to just run to me and let me rub his back. What can I say, my babe is spoiled.

Image information: Photo taken by me; Ted chilling on his chair-and-a-half; Spring 2015
God, he is so freaking adorable.

Image information: Photo by me; Ted trying to nap on the couch; July 2015
I spend the majority of my time with Ted and I can honestly say he is my best friend. Not only is he great company (super easy for me to get along with) but he is also a great cuddlebear. We love getting and giving kisses. But on a more serious note, he really has helped me through the toughest periods of my life.

Image information: Selfie by me; Ted and me cuddling on the floor; July 2015.
This year I am going to be a senior in college. I plan to graduate in the Spring with two degrees--Psychology and Women Gender Studies. My ultimate plan is to go to graduate school and pursue my Ph.d in Clinical Psychology. To me, it is very obvious that the world is not a perfect place and I want to do everything I can to make sure that no one has to go through their issues alone and/or without the information that they need to be safe, sane, and healthy.

I eventually want to end up working in a clinic that caters to eating disorders of all types, and then after a while possibly start a non-profit. Either that or go into research and find better ways to deal with and to treat eating disorders. There is still so much that we do not know about eating disorders or what it means for the brain and for the person, and I feel like it is one of the most overlooked issues in America today.

This is a cause very dear to me, and something that I absolutely love to talk about, so if there is anything that you want to know, or if you have any questions at all, please ask me! I'd be delighted to rant about my favorite topic.

On a lighter note, here are the basics of me. I am twenty years old, daughter of a super smart mom and a very military dad. I moved around a ridiculous amount of times as a kid and somehow we ended up sticking around Edmond for good. I was born in Jacksonville, Florida but consider myself raised here in Edmond, OK. I moved to Norman for freshman year, moved back home for sophomore, and then Ted and I settled into a quaint little house here in Norman where we plan to stay until graduation.

I am obsessed with Coca-Cola and I probably drink it way, way, way too much. But I love it. I collect notebooks because I always feel like I can't get enough even though I barely ever actually write in them. My favorite color is yellow, but I also like dark blue. I am a night owl through and through and absolutely hate waking up for early mornings. I currently work as a waitress at a bar/pub on Campus Corner here in Norman; but I have been serving for well over two years here and there in Edmond before this job.

I hope that this has been an enlightening look into who I am, but if there is something that I left out that you would like to know, just ask me! Thanks for reading.









20 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Amanda, the picture of you and your brother and sister is lovely of course, but those pictures of Ted are just fabulous... I hope he will play a starring role in SOMETHING for this class, a story, a meme, something wonderful! And I am so sure you could find a way to make your interest in helping people with eating disorders into a project for this class. Is that something you would be interested in...? People have used myths and legends in all kinds of ways for therapy for millennia, and even in the modern era of psychotherapy — so if you want to explore that in your work for this class, that would be so cool. A lot of people use a "therapy" style for storytelling but without any real knowledge of therapy and what it is about... you could bring a whole new dimension to it that way! Anyway, it sounds like this will be a good class for you, something that can be really useful and fun... and just based on your sneezing story (seriously, that story really made an impression on me! wow!), I am very curious to see which way you will want to go in this class. Hopefully with Ted joining you for at least some part of the journey! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted is the cutest dog ever, and this is coming from a (VERY much) cat person! I especially love the selfie of you and Ted. I find your ambitions of helping people with eating disoders to be so admirable! We live in a world that focuses so much on "get skinner!", fat shaming, and a poor body image. I am an advocate of being HEALTHY. Eat right, and exercise, but I don't partcularly think that dieting is a viable option. In fact, dieting can be very harmful to some people. Anyways, it's great that you can help people who are struggling with eating disorders. And I am also such a night owl and hate waking up early! (That's probably why I am really enjoying this online class!) Anyways, nice to meet you, and good luck with all of your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda!
    I totally understand about your siblings being completely different people. It's the same for me and my sister (who is also named Amanda). Your dog is adorable! Sometimes I like dogs more than people haha. It's so awesome that you want to research ways to deal with eating disorders. I agree that it is something that is majorly overlooked. I hope you have a great semester and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda, nice to meet you! I enjoyed reading your introduction.

    Aww, I envy your relationship with your siblings. I’m an only child, so I didn’t get to grow up with that sibling love. It’s great that you are so close to your siblings since I have met so many people that always complain about having a brother or a sister. It’s sad because friends can come and go, but family will always be family!

    Ted looks like a super sweet dog even though he’s mostly just chilling on the couch in your pics haha.

    Your reason for your career choice is very commendable. I agree that eating disorders are overlooked in contemporary society. So you go girl~

    Have a wonderful semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ted is such a big boy! I can see why you named him Teddy Bear. The picture of you and your siblings is so sweet, your parents must be so proud. I love how you describe them as different but cut from the same cloth. Even though I am a only child, I feel the same way about my family members and we have a close bond as well.
    I love that you want to do something with eating disorders with your career. My roommates and I were actually just talking about the stress society puts on young women to be skinny and perfect. I think its disgusting when people in the media and even people I know in real life fat shames a person. Weight is a hot topic issue in our society but sometimes I feel like people focus on the physical aspect instead of the underlying mental and emotional part. You have a really good head on your shoulders so stay strong and hope to hear more throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pup is too cute! I have two dogs of my own, a yellow lab and black lab retriever mix, and I have got to say that big dogs are the absolute best to cuddle with. I'm pretty jealous that you get to have Ted here with you. My babies are back home in San Antonio so I only get to see them Winter, Spring, and Summer break:( Kudos to you on your career aspirations! I think it's really special when people set out to help others and make this world a better place. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda! I am also one of three children, but im the youngest. Much like your siblings, my two sisters are polar opposites as well.
    Just like I have told everyone else with dogs, I’M SO JEALOUS! I cannot wait to graduate and move into a pet friendly location and get a dog. It needs to happen sooner rather than later!
    I am so impressed with your choice to have two majors. I cannot imagine the work you must have put in over the last few years! Good luck with your senior year and I look forward to reading more of your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amanda! I am from Edmond, OK as well; although I was born in Davenport, IA, I consider myself a okie through and through! I think it is so cool that you want to work in eating disorders through psychology! Psychology is so cool because it is so abstract and there are still so many things we do not know when it comes to the brain! I cannot imagine graduating with two majors! Im just trying to stay on tract with a major and a Pre-PA tract, I dont think I could do two majors! Also, I am obsessed with your dog! I love big dogs, we had two Great Pyrenees when I was younger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda! I am also a senior Psychology major! I am super impressed that you are graduating with two majors! I barely have time for one so that is awesome that you will have two! Your dog, Ted, is so beautiful oh my goodness! I have three fur babies(that's what my high school vocal teacher always called them)two dogs and one cat and I love them so much! I am looking into adopting another one after I graduate! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there Amanda, nice to meet you! First of all, your dog is super cute! I've never had a dog before but I know I'm definitely going to get one some day (hopefully sooner rather than later). Oh and it's cool that you're from Edmond, so I am! It's so great what you want to do with your degrees/future. I think the cause you're focusing on is an extremely important one and it's awesome that you're so passionate about it. Good luck on everything and congrats on being a soon-to-be graduate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amanda
    Your dog is so adorable! I don’t have an animal of my own yet, but I’m crazy anxious to get one soon. Animals are just such a joy. Congrats on graduating soon! It sounds like you’ve worked really hard for it all. It is cool to hear about someone wanting to work in non-profit. It’s such good work and there is so much to be done. Good luck on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amanda. IT was very interesting to read about your desire to help people with their disorders because of not wanting anyone to have to deal with them alone. I completely understand what you mean by your siblings being nothing alike. I have five other siblings and every one of them are completely different but have similar qualities at the same time. I definitely understand where you are coming form when you say your dog is the love of your life. If I am away from my dog for more than a day I go through withdraws. Good luck on your future plans!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amanda! People who love their families unconditionally are the best types of people. I would move Heaven and Earth for my family without even 2nd guessing myself. You have such wonderful life goals. Congratulations on graduating with 2 majors! That's very impressive and says a lot about you and show you will have great success with your future goals. While I never got to have a dog, yours looks amazing! Good luck with the rest of your studies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amanda! You seem very honest and down to Earth. Your dog is adorable! I miss mine back at home, so it must be nice to have Teddy around. Graduating as a double major with Psych and WGS is great! I am a College of Arts & Sciences double major as well, studying Sociology-Criminology and Communication. Maybe I will see you one day on Campus Corner in passing? You seem like the kind of person that I'd hang out with outside of the classroom. Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on being so close to graduation! It is always a treat to be so close to finishing a goal.
    I must echo everyone else's comments and say your dog looks like he is an incredible companion. Big dogs are always so huggable. I am more of a cat and bird person myself, but even I can't deny the truth of dogs!
    I am actually the youngest of four. My eldest sibling is also in this class (Her name is LaDawn).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Amanda! We really do have a lot in common!

    Ted is adorable! I love big dogs and don't think life is complete without one! I love all the pictures of him. My dog just seems to sense when you're about to take a picture of him and moves at the last second every time, so I'm definitely jealous!

    I also lived on campus for my freshman year and then moved back home, although I'm still at home. However, I live in Midwest City so it's not nearly as long as a drive as it would be from Edmond!

    I look forward to learning more about you through your stories and what not!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Amanda!
    Congrats on being a senior! I wish you much luck this final year, and for your future career and in all you do! You have an adorable dog! I miss having a dog, and I look forward to someday having one again.
    I think you are going to go far with helping people with eating disorders. I agree it is a common problem and we just don't know enough to help others through it sometimes. My best friend of nearly 20 years suffered from anorexia for most of her life. She admitted to being 82 pounds before she sought help and stuck to it. She weighs 120 now, which is still very thin for her stature, and she still struggles daily. It has been hard as her friend to not be able to help her. It also made me aware of my own food issues. Any way, I could blabber on forever about all the cool stuff about you on your page and boring stuff about me, but this is just an intro for this class! I love your background and color scheme of your page! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Amanda,
    So your dog is absolutely adorable, and I know the feeling because I'm pretty sure my dog is my absolute favorite thing in the world! The amount of love I have for her is unreal and some might say I'm borderline obsessed with her but I don't care. You and I are kind of in the same position, my dad was in the military and we moved around a lot before eventually settling down in Dallas.I really hope that all of your dreams and aspirations come true because what you want to do is really inspiring and I think you would be able to help a lot of people out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, Amanda!

    I definitely understand what you mean by being close to your family - my family is also the most important thing to me. It's great to be close to the people you grow up with and who will always be there. That's awesome that you want to pursue your Ph.d! I also appreciate your love of Coca-Cola. It's definitely the best soda. I hope you have a wonderful rest of your semester and good luck with everything your future holds!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Amanda its so nice to meet you.
    aww your puppy looks so nice. I wish that i had a dog to love me and to cuddle with. I mean people are nice but dog love you no mater what and it would be so nice to have one waiting for me when i get done with class. I look forward to reading your work

    ReplyDelete