Saturday, August 22, 2015

Famous Last Words Week 1

For the amount of times in my life where I have thought that I should start a blog, it has never actually been a real interest of mine. I don't really like the spotlight and the idea that people are reading things that I wrote has always been the deciding factor in my decision to blog. But this past week blogging for the first time ever has actually been really nice.

I've forgotten what it feels like to write. I don't do it enough because I always feel like I don't have the time, the energy, or the creativity necessary to create something. Instead I usually just deflect to reading and leave it at that. But there is something so satisfying about making something that is your own, something that came straight from your mind and that you pasted to the canvas.

I used to write a lot. Nothing big and nothing very great, but I used to do it all the time. Poems, stories, little things. Basically anything that came to mind. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I wrote my storytelling post this week. I doubt it's the best thing I have ever written, especially because the majority of it was written when I was sleep-dumb at 5 in the morning, but it was a really really good start into getting back to myself. And I am so looking forward to writing more storytelling posts in the future. Maybe it'll even inspire me to write actually stories--let my creativity kind of come back into myself. Rejoin the fold.

Classes haven't started yet so I don't have a lot to say on that front at the moment. But I will go ahead and invite you all to an event that is happening on Sept. 11th in OKC at the Skirvin Hotel. I am interning with the Oklahoma Eating Disorders Association this semester and they are hosting an event called Conversations of Hope. Basically this guy named Brian Cuban is coming in to speak about his book and talk about recovery. Basically it is for a super great cause and it is free to attend (although they do suggest a 30 dollar donation with the dinner), and you can learn all about my favorite platform. I've posted the info below. Thank you all for an awesome first week. I can't wait to see what is to come.

Image information: OEDA Event poster for Conversations of Hope on Sept. 11th: Source: Oklahoma Eating Disorders Association
Conversations of Hope
Friday, September 11th, 2015
Doors open at 6:00pm
Dinner is served at 7:00pm
Skirvin Hotel
1 Park Ave., Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Brian Cuban

Join the Oklahoma Eating Disorder Association for a community event designed to honor those who are in treatment, recovery, or have passed away from an eating disorder. Brian Cuban will be giving his first-hand experiences of living with, and recovering from eating disorders, drug addiction, and Body Dysmorphia Disorder. In addition to the impactful speaker this evening will be filled with delicious food, live entertainment, and raffle prizes dedicated to raising awareness and inspiring hope for recovery. 

Register at: 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Amanda, I am glad that you talked about writing for this class. As upper classman, were so used to writing papers and essays, but it is always so structured with mounds of research to back it up. There is something about letting your creative juices flow and I am glad that this class gives up the opportunity to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel about people reading your writing and a blog being so public! Sometimes it makes me nervous. I guess because we are all afraid of how people will judge our work. I think you have used good creativity in your writing. It was also nice to know you are trying to help others with your internship. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never really been all that interested in writing a blog either, but this class changed my mindset on it. I thought it was too hard and too technical, but once I got the hang of this class I realized it was very possible!
    Your internship sounds very interesting! I hope that is a lot of fun for you.
    Best of luck the rest of this semester!

    ReplyDelete