Saturday, August 22, 2015

Growth Mindset

Image information: Growth Mindset motivational poster found on Pinterest blog. Originally from principal.blogspot.com. Source: Pinterest

Today was the first time that I encountered Carol Dweck's theory of Growth Mindset. This theory basically explains why people succeed and how to become one of those people by learning that your abilities have to be developed. Dweck explains in her theory that the issue with our limited success can be partly attributed to how we teach children to learn. We live in a society where we place a lot of importance on grades in school. We also live in a society where we desire instant gratification and where we are accustomed to achieving it--and when we don't, we don't quite know how to handle it in a rational manner.

Dweck preaches living in a "not yet" mindset, a mindset where you realize that time is necessary for growth, and that effort and commitment required to produce this growth. I'd like to think that I would score closer to the growth mindset side of the scale than the fixed mindset, but I feel that because I am a product of my generation, that I most likely have an unhealthy amount of fixed mindset as well. I'm not accustomed to encountering things that I can't understand or overcome with minimal effort--especially when it comes to school. At least not anymore. And I think that because of this lack of challenge could contribute to my lack of growth mindset.

When I started college I was exactly like those kids they warn you about in high school. The kid who got by without reading but who inevitably ended up doing not so great their first year because of the culture shock. It took a lot of effort and time to get myself back on track to being a good student. I still have to watch myself throughout the semester because i'm prone to burnouts when the semester is coming to a close. I've learned that I really need to schedule myself and stick to it in order to be successful.

I think that the Growth Mindset is an interesting concept and I would be interested in looking more into what exactly it and the Growth Mindset Challenges include. I've always really stuck with what has worked for me, but I'm sure that there is a better, more effective way to be learning than what I am doing.

This semester I really want to focus on my writing and enhancing that aspect of my personal portfolio. I will be in the middle of graduate school applications and I could use all the help I can find. This is also my (hopefully) last year at OU, and I think it would be really great to end on a good note. Welcome in real adulthood with some success rather than burnout and little energy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    I really like the meme you chose for this post. When we see someone do something like it was nothing we become so enthralled in the saying, "you make it look so easy". We sometimes negate the fact that that person probably studied or worked hard to have the results that they do.

    ReplyDelete