Thursday, August 20, 2015

Storybook Favorites

In anticipation of my impending decision on whether or not to pick a Portfolio or a Storybook for my class project this post is for the browsing of my options. So here goes nothing.

Myth-Folklore Storybook: Which is the Real Cinderella?
Image information: Which is the Real Cinderella?

The fairytale Cinderella is a common enough in today's culture. Especially with Disney's movie on it, most people my age and younger are familiar with their version of the tale. But I read a lot of the Grimm Fairytales as a kid and am familiar with their version as well as a few different other versions, so this is definitely not a new topic. The Title of this storybook does do a good job of explaining what the storybook is about.

I picked this storybook because it took a common story that most people know and love and then put a very original twist on it. The Introduction did a good job of showing what her storybook was about and was interesting enough to catch my attention and prompt me to read the rest of the stories. The storybook was well designed and I appreciated the fact that the person didn't use over the top fonts or distracting backgrounds. 

Myth-Folklore Storybook: Lost in Wonderland
Image information: Lost in Wonderland
Alice in Wonderland is one of my early loves and I am so happy that I found this storybook in the example archives. Who doesn't love Alice? This is a topic that I am very familiar with and that I thought was covered rather well. I really enjoyed how the author modeled her introduction off of Lewis Carroll's writing style. 

I would have read the stories even if the introduction hadn't done such a good job of introducing the rest of the stories in the storybook. Each of the stories flowed well into the other and had a very wonderlandesque feeling to it. I really liked that the background was reminiscent of the roses from Alice in Wonderland and I really liked how the author used the same letter calligraphy to start each story that was present in Carroll's original books. I also liked how her intro page linked to the next part of the story--that is something that I think would be nice to integrate into my own storybook project.

Myth-Folklore Storybook: The Dark Side of Fairy Tales
Image information: The Dark Side of Fairy Tales
I'm not as familiar with the Grimm's fairytales as I am with other myths and folk stories, mostly because there are so many stories written by them. This storybook focused on four of the most well-known stories though, so they weren't too unfamiliar. I really liked how the storybook focused on the macabre version of fairytales, something that is often glossed over in today's representations. The introduction was really well written and did a great job explaining what the storybook was going to cover. 

The writing style of the introduction made this storybook sound like the whole thing was one big ride and it really piked my interest in reading this story. As for the design, I liked how the blog was supposed to be the darker side of fairytales and as a result the whole blog was designed using dark colors to bring the whole concept together. Also, something that I think I want to incorporate into my storybook is the small design aspect of the current label page. This blog had the current page you're on be put into a larger font just so that you had a better idea of where on the website/storyline you were on.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is very nice, Amanda: you picked some Storybooks that show how each person's approach makes the project different from all the rest. There have been lots of fairy tale and Grimm Storybooks in the years of this class, and quite a few Alice projects also... and I remember them all very distinctly because they each have a personality of their own. To get a sense of that, here are a couple more Alice projects... each of them so different from the one you looked at here and so different from each other too!
    The Adventures of the Knave
    Into a World of My Own

    And thanks so much for starting early like this: you'll probably find it easy to stay ahead all semester long now as a result. Happy Weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete